Hi! I’m Natalie.
I’m a marketing professional with experience on product marketing & development teams at startups and advertising agencies. As a marketer, I’ve built and maintained communities both online and off, producing content and planning and hosting events. As a designer, I’ve worked as a visual and product design for print and digital (web, mobile, and desktop) applications. I love building brands and communities and I am an advocate for effective user experience and clean typography.
Marketing and Communications Manager
Grand Rapids, MI · September 2017 – present
- Leading creative marketing strategy, crafting Elevator Up’s story as they help companies launch digital ventures.
- Strategic planning, brand development, digital marketing: promoting Elevator Up’s brand, growing the customer base, collaborating with every member of the EU team: leadership, sales, design, development.
Creative Strategy Consulting
2012 – Present
- Brand and product consulting:
- Design contest finalist:
- Work featured:
- The One Show
- Books sold at Urban Outfitters and other brick & mortar and online retailers
Senior Product Marketing Manager
San Francisco, CA · April 2017 – August 2017
- Cross-functional role between Product Management & Product Marketing focused on the transition and merger of Apiary’s product, brand, and user base to Oracle platforms.
- Positioned Apiary’s design-first approach to software development as a thought leader in the industry and within Oracle’s suite of products. Attended Oracle + Apiary partner and customer events and conferences; built and maintained customer and partner relationships.
- Designed marketing strategy for Oracle + Apiary software products, developed messaging for internal and external audiences, created marketing collateral including including product videos, webinars, press releases, blog posts, social media, articles, case studies, whitepapers, customer testimonials.
Product Marketing Manager
Apiary (Acquired by Oracle, January 2017)
San Francisco, CA & Prague, Czech Republic · May 2015 – April 2017
- Product positioning and UX design for Apiary’s design-first approach to software development, specifically API design and development.
- Branding and user experience design for Apiary’s web app, website, and marketing collateral.
- Go-to-market strategy collaboration with Apiary’s sales and customer success teams to build landing pages, in-app messaging and email campaigns, blog posts, and product videos to announce the benefits of new features and to generate leads for paid licenses of the software.
- Identified events in the developer community to strengthen Apiary’s network: sponsorships, speaking opportunities, product demos, and networking activities.
- Supported a community of over 270,000 B2B & B2C customers and collaborators through a company-wide 24/7 user support channel; ensured how-to, help articles, and resources for users were readily accessible.
User Experience Design & Product Marketing
San Francisco, CA · October 2013 – May 2015
- Product marketing and community management: art directed Bitcasa product video, attended events encouraging developers to create products using Bitcasa’s platform.
- Product design (UX & UI) for the web, desktop, and mobile applications.
- Design lead on the company website and brand redesign and relaunch: built new brand, designed icons, interfaces, and user flows.
- Created a style guide and implemented new branding across the website, web app, mobile apps, and marketing collateral including digital ads, email campaigns, blog post graphics, landing pages, internal collateral, and print and presentation/display materials.
The Michigan Beer Show
January 2013 – January 2017
- Created and managed the brand identity, website, social media (Facebook · Twitter · Instagram), and content strategy for a podcast and blog focused on Michigan’s growing craft beer scene.
- Grew the organization from two podcast hosts to a team of six contributors to podcast, blog, and social media content.
- Set up interviews, meet ups, and events with the people in the home brew, brewery, beer festival, and beer enthusiast scene.
- Implemented and managed a digital content calendar for the recurring podcast and blog segments, including beer features, reviews, and information on beer events.
Vice President & Director of Communications
Michigan State University Alumni Association, San Francisco Bay Area Chapter
December 2012 – July 2015
- Supported a community of 10,000 Bay Area Spartan alumni, increased social media following, and event attendance by over 200%.
- Attended monthly board meetings and planned, promoted, and hosted club events and fundraising initiatives.
- Defined the club brand, established logos, a new website design, and a new social media strategy.
- Created digital content and visuals for marketing communication materials, established and managed email newsletters, website content, and social media communities. Ran the Facebook group, Twitter, and Instagram profiles.
- Grew club events beyond game watches to include events at art museums, networking at tech companies like Google, LinkedIn, and Eventbrite, family picnics at local parks, volunteer service activities, and wine country tours.
- Established the Silicon Valley Spartans monthly brunch group, produced Bay Area Spartan t-shirts to raise a scholarship fund, attended local college fairs to educate high school students about opportunities at Michigan State, worked with MSU Alumni Association HQ to bring more programs and funding to the Bay Area.
Product Marketing & Design
San Francisco, CA · October 2012 – October 2013
- Produced marketing collateral, brand guidelines, and a social media presence an internet of things (IoT) network.
- Relaunched the Aeris website with new information architecture, user experience and user interface considerations, written and video content, content management system, and lead generation programs.
- Created marketing collateral for Aeris product launches.
Detroit, MI · August 2011 – September 2012
- Doner Design Studio team: created brand identity and print and digital collateral to accompany advertising campaigns for clients including The Detroit Zoo, The Detroit Historical Society, ADT, Choice Hotels, and The UPS Store.
- Created brand identity for Detroit Historical Society exhibits including Streets of Old Detroit, America’s Motor City, Detroit: The Arsenal of Democracy, Doorway to Freedom – Detroit and the Underground Railroad, The Allesee Gallery of Culture, The Gallery of Innovation, and Built by the River.
Lansing, MI · July 2010 – July 2011
- Created brand identities and marketing and advertising campaigns for print and interactive output.
- Worked with local and national clients including BIGGBY Coffee, bd’s Mongolian Grill, Lake Trust Credit Union, and the Ronald McDonald House of Mid-Michigan.
- Designed a brand identity system for the Village of Dimondale, Michigan.
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI · January 2011 – May 2011
- Semester project with a select group of Michigan State graphic design students to redefine the brand identity and voice of the Red Cedar Review, Michigan State’s undergraduate literary journal, the longest-running undergraduate-managed publication in the United States.
Advertising & Marketing Specialist
Lansing, MI · October 2009 – June 2010
- Performed market research and analysis for 6,000+ insurance agencies.
- Worked with independent agents and media vendors to produce print, TV, radio, and digital advertising.
State of Michigan & Michigan State University
Lansing, MI · October 2009 – May 2010
- Cross-functional collaboration between the Michigan State University Department of Fisheries & Wildlife and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to create print and digital collateral to educate state residents about the white-tailed deer population.
Graphic Artist, Pre-Press and Web Production
The State News · Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI · September 2007 – May 2011
- Designed and formatted print & digital ads and promotional campaigns for local and national clients.
- Managed content for the print & digital editions published in print and online five days a week: placed all ads and non-editorial content and created print-ready files; sent files to press, uploaded all articles and interactive media content to The State News’ proprietary content management platform.
Front-End Web Development
General Assembly San Francisco, 2013
Bachelor of Fine Arts, Studio Art · Graphic Design · Photography
Michigan State University, 2011
Bachelor of Arts, Advertising
Michigan State University, 2010
American University of Rome, 2009